[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard hauling line

Greg PA baywindgroup at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 19:21:32 EDT 2010

Mine attached to centerboard through a hole, but I don't remember where the
hole is on the centerboard. From the quote I thought I would have to drill a
new hole. If I could thread the line down the tube and dive under the boat
and tie it off that would be much preferred to taking off the CB cap.

"I e-mailed the COMMODORE for how-to-repair instruction and
received a series of immediate replies to my query and follow-ups (I
accused Stan of playing Ann Landers all holiday weekend to his Rhodie
disciples).  He provided two options: one to reinstall the former 4:1
purchase system and the other to drill a hole in the aft edge of the
cb near the bottom and run a direct hauling line back into the
cockpit. Although making it a heavier lift I'm attracted to this
simplicity."

Mary Lou Troy-2 wrote:

> Hi Greg,
> How did your pennant attach to your centerboard?
>
> We did not have to drill any holes. When ours ran through blocks it
> attached to an existing hole in the CB, ran through the blocks and
> then up through the tube to the cockpit. When we changed to direct
> pull, we just eliminated the blocks so it now runs from the hole in
> the centerboard up through the tube. We did it with the cap off but
> we could have done it with the boat on slings. When we changed out
> the pennant last year (with the boat in slings) we just dropped the
> new line through the tube and tied it off to hole in the board.
> However, ours is a "diamond board" so the configuration may be different.
>
> Best,
> Mary Lou
> R22 Fretless
> Rock Hall, MD
>

> At 03:16 PM 9/6/2010, you wrote:
>
>>Mary Lou
>>My centerboard line broke after only a year. I didn't see the threading
>>diagram until after id did it, and I believe I didn't do it correctly. I
>>have the older style and need to fix it quickly. My cap seems to be water
>>tight so I prefer to not take it off for the repair. After seeing this
>>thread I am leaning towards hauling the boat and drilling a hole for a
>>direct haul.
>>
>>Just so I am 100% sure, you drilled a hole in your CB aft near the bottom
>>and threaded a line up through the tube to the cockpit?
>>
>>Did you do this without taking off the cap?
>>
>>Thanks for the help, maybe I will see you at the boat show Friday?
>>

>>George,
>>Ours is direct pull. It works fine. It's not very heavy unless you
>>are really moving and there is a lot of side pressure. Even then it's
>>not a big deal.
>>
>>Mary Lou
>>1991 R22 Fretless
>>Rock Hall, MD