[Rhodes22-list] a by and large tall story

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 10:35:31 EST 2011

Joe,
The instructions were to drink the rum, not inhale it.

Rummy

In a message dated 1/28/2011 2:06:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
daysails at aol.com writes:

I  got tired of waiting for Spring and good sailing weather.  So I drove  to
Lake Hartwell loaded Second Wind on the trailer and headed south then  west
along I-10.  When I reached the coast of California I stepped the  mast and
splashed my Rhodes 22 into the Pacific.  I then sailed it  across to Hawaii
on my way to Southeast Asia.  I left the boat on the  trailer and found this
very useful as I could hit the east coast of any  island I met, rent a tow
vehicle and tow the boat across to the west coast  of the island and set off
again.  I filled every space of Second Wind  with diet system meals, the
kind
you put in boiling water and ….boil.   Someone on the list suggested I fill
every container available with Mt Gay  rum.  I did. This included the brand
new waste water tank of the  marine head some of you wisely convinced me I
needed.  By the time I  crossed the Wallace line I had finished all the
provisions and  rum.   I lost 55 pounds and all memory of the  Pacific
crossing.  In general, I followed the Gold Galleon route  established by the
Spaniards a ways back.  I used a bit of dead  reckoning and the new bulkhead
mounted Plastimo Contest 130 compass some of  you wisely suggested I buy.  I
got the kind that you can see the  headings from the stern of a boat three
lengths behind me.   This  got me to the Philippine archipelago where I
provisioned and island hopped  south to Indonesia and the island of Bali.  I
have the attached motor  tiller connection, which some of you wisely
suggested I get, so turning  south was not a big problem.   I think I left
Second Wind  anchored off Sanur with the appropriate amount of chain, line,
scope and  insurance.  I am writing this from the village of Ubud in central
Bali  close to the base of Mount Agung, the revered volcano.  You may  have
read about Ubud in the popular book and movie “Eat prey, Luv”.   I found
the Tohatsu 8hp 4 stroke some of you wisely recommended was  up to the
challenge of all but the heavy rolling coasters off Lombok.   I would go
with
a larger engine next time and extra fuel tanks as again per  someone’s on
list suggestion, I substituted Mt Gay for fuel.    However, it was a
continual battle between me and the boat over the  fuel.   I would hear the
engine come on late at night after  Second Wind thought I was asleep.  It
was
easy to see that she was  three sheets to the wind in the morning.    I
better end, my care  giver just arrived.  Thanks to all on the list for your
much more  useful postings.  If it weren’t for you I wouldn’t be in this
position  (an owner of a Rhodes 22) waiting impatiently for Spring.  Cheers
from  Ubud, Joe