[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Questions

daysails at aol.com daysails at aol.com
Wed Jul 6 08:50:38 EDT 2011

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the list. My recycled Rhodes 22 was delivered last November.
  I wanted a retirement boat too. . I spent lots of time comparing
different boats of this size and what would work for me. After what I
consider a two year exhaustive search, I decided on the Rhodes 22. My
decision was based on the ease of handling this sailboat as I begin to
loose my ease handling mobility . I went with a recycled Rhodes because
I wanted it to come with a factory warranty (like no leaks) and the
assurance that I would not have to spend dollars and time getting it
ready to enjoy. I did look at a number of Rhodes for sale by owner and
came close to buying two that were bought out from under me. I test
"drove" a Rhodes 22 for the first time with an owner who had it up for
sale. I wanted the process of buying the boat to be part of the
adventure. Visiting General Boats, meeting and sailing with Stan
personalized the purchase. I liked being able to select the options
that I wanted such as the motor lift, IMF, marine head, pop top
enclosure and all those things a retiree sailor would appreciate. Some
one described the Rhodes 22 as the BMW of 22's. One can get less
expensive 22 ft sailboats but you have to give up a lot of features I
think one deserves in retirment sailing.  If sailing large on a small
boat and single handed sailability are part of your thinking this is
your boat. I would not do what I did and that is delay so long in
catching my second wind.

Joe Riley
1988 Recycled in 2010
S/V Second Wind