[Rhodes22-list] Furling Back Into the Mast

David Craft chsyhkr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:02:08 EDT 2011

Greetings.

We were out today on the lower Cape Fear and it was pretty blustery.  While
furling the main back into the mast, it got hung up.  Once we got back to
the dock, the wind had let off.  We unfurled a few feel and got it back in.
 We do have a small tear in the sail at the foot when the white fabric
connects to the heavier blue edge.

Two thoughts, the flapping causing the sail to furl in bunches and not wind
in nicely.  In the future, have partner stand in the cockpit and use both
palms to steady the sail as it enters.

Second, the tear is from this incident as well as UV wear.

The sails are about 4 years old, never taken out of or off the mast.  As the
sail winds in some white shows in the slit.  This is close to where the tear
is.
I am wondering if the sun weakened this area in the slit as the back of the
mast faced south?

We'll remove them later this fall for repair and conditioning.  Do most
folks remove the sails for winter?

The sails are Doyle and installed in 08 on a recycled boat.

David Craft
89  We'll Sea
Recycled 2008

--