[Rhodes22-list] Solar Cell Replacement/Charger

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 10:34:02 EDT 2011

Al,
You definitely need a charge controller. I helped Capt. Keller install one
on his Rhodes. Prior to that he was going through batteries on a regular
basis.  Now with the controller they don't over charge or discharge when it's
cloudy.  The cheapest one is around thirty bucks and will handle panels up
to 100 watts,  or 7 amps.
I would test the current solar cells to see if they are still functioning.
Newer cells might be more efficient if yours are really old. Size and
output are  all that matters. I'm sure Stan would be willing to help you out, but
there are  other outlets. Solar panels for marine installations have
connections that are  built to withstand the marine environment.

Rummy

In a message dated 10/29/2011 9:32:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,