[Rhodes22-list] Fiberglass Failure at Motor Mount in Lazarette

PBR pbryanriley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 09:16:07 EDT 2012

David,
I have seen a similar cracking on mine but not quite as bad.  My
solution has to add aluminum angle on the outside edges of my lift to
add vertical stiffness and I ran 1 piece of aluminum angle
horizontally on the inside across the 2 mount bolts and the rudder
support.  I thought I had done good, but now after Burts note I am
worried again.  I assumed my flexing was due to stresses from
trailering rather than on the water action.  I now use straps to help
secure the motor when I trailer with it on.

On mine it looked like the cracking was only in the foarm type
material that appears to have been used to mold in the wooden pieces.
The wood on mine is not really glassed in, the foam stuff seems to
offer no structural support, at least at this age.  The good news is
your fiberglass may be fine and only the other stuff cracked from
flexing.  The bad news is, I don't think you want to just glass over
that weak foam stuff.  Not sure how well your quick fix will work
without stripping down to bare wood and glass.  I am just speculating
- I have never done any fiberglass repair myself
-Patrick