[Rhodes22-list] Fiberglass Failure at Motor Mount in Lazarette

ASNOOCH at aol.com ASNOOCH at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 10:15:52 EDT 2012

My years of experience with fibreglass work reminds me that several lessons
 are essential: Both the resin and catalyst must be purchased from a high
volume  dealer, to have some assurance of freshness... or it just may not
harden  properly and result in failure., Second, the surface-s to be bonded
must be  properly prepared to accept the new cloth/resin, Third, patience is
required for  each layer to harden prior to the addition of following
layers... I bonded in  1/4 inch scrap strips of aluminum to reinforce the stern
acting as a backing  plate and further strengthening the hull. I extended my
internal/ laz glass work  to wrap around the sides and bilge of the ship to
further tie in the  stern.  Again , it appears the most "delicate" structure of
our ships is  our sterns... afterall we are not hanging 450 hp outboards on
our stern or  pulling ships, skiiers, etc... however, I guess I could
rename my ship the "hard  ass"... however not...
Burt

In a message dated 8/2/2012 9:16:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,