[Rhodes22-list] Solar panel inquiry

PBR pbryanriley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 10:27:57 EDT 2012

Charles,
There are some previous posts about batteries, panels, and charge
controllers.  A charged battery should be able to run your instrument
panel only for days easily especially with solar panel(s).  So
something is amiss.  Check your water levels.  Do you have a charge
controller?  If not, that may have contributed to earlier battery
degradation.  Four years is not bad, but with your light use I would
expect them to last longer.  To test you solar panels you can check
open circuit voltage with a voltmeter.  Disconnect the panels or
disconnect you battery with everything else off.  In good sun your
panels voltage shout produce an open circuit voltage significantly
higher than battery voltage, say 15-20 volts.
-PBR