[Rhodes22-list] Fiberglass Failure at Motor Mount in Lazarette

David Craft chsyhkr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 18:11:34 EDT 2012

Well,

On a trip out Lockwood Folly inlet we encountered some nasty rollers at the
last channel marks   We took 4-5 waves for the last 50 yards, mostly head
on as as we had little time or room to maneuver.  This is a newly dredged
channel and a little unpredictable.

Upon returning to  Southport the next day I noticed the separation in the
lazarette of the fiberglass between the hull and reinforced area for the
motor mount.  Note the mount had been moved up due to a new longer shaft
motor.  You can still make out the 2 lower screw holes now filled in.  The
upper two holes are now the lower two holes in the new location.  The
outside of the transom is intact with no cracks or defects in the gel coat.

Proposed fix.  Quick set epoxy to hold the separation together.
Fiberglass mesh and adhesive over the the separation. New talller backer
board to come all the way down the bottom of the laz and bolted in using
the old holes as well as the upper holes where the mount current is.   That
would be 6 bolts in the 12" x 18" board.

Thoughts?

--
Regards,

David B. Craft