[Rhodes22-list] construction questions

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Tue Jun 12 12:57:01 EDT 2012

Rob,

 When I bought my boat it was advertised as a 74 but in my restoration
efforts I have come to the conclusion that I have a 71. 1972 was when the
law changed requiring the use of a "nameplate" containing a hull ID #. My
boat showed no evidence of ever having a nameplate (no filled holes etc...)
hence it must pre date nameplates. I really don't believe the entire deck is
cored but I can't prove it. the cabin area is definitely hollow on the
vertical walls there are some blocks of coring that seem to provide some
reinforcement but it is not solid cored in that area. Before drilling holes
are there any ceiling fixtures you could remove ? Mine had RV style 12v
light fixtures in the galley area and one in the v-berth which have been
removed. One thought might be to disassemble one of the cabin ports (got any
leaky ones ? ) and take a look inside. The forward cleat on my boat is
bolted straight through the deck it would be easy to remove it to look and
see if that area is cored. Remember to re bed it when re installing. Given
the cost of materials I personally like to see what I'm up against before I
start throwing money at a problem.