[Rhodes22-list] Anchor retrieval system

Ellner Rod ellnerrod at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 14:12:28 EST 2012

Hi everyone

Just doing some
Winter browsing on the internet.  I have always considered an anchor retrieval system was used to dislodge an anchor that was fouled on the bottom.  I see now it can also be used to easily retrieve an anchor with a lot less effort than pulling it in hand over hand.   I don't know if a sailboat the under power of an 8 hp outboard.Have any of you used this system when anchored? It floats the anchor under a fender or float able to support your anchor. The rode is then pulled to the boat with very little resistance.  It  sure would beat the hand over hand method.

Check this video out . Watch the entire video, a very large sturgeon is caught.  I would use just the float and mechanical piece and my existing rodes and anchors.
This first video is some serious anchoring. The second video is more my speed. I just wonder if a sailboat would have enough speed to force the float to ride down the rode.  Any comments, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxM7VPOC4M

Anchoring Tip # 19

Anchoring Using an Anchor Ball (The Easy Way)

I’ve been using an anchor ball since before the red plastic balls were invented.  At first, I used an empty Freon can.  When the plastic balls were invented, everybody switched to them and eliminated a lot of rust stains on their boat.

For single hand operation, nothing is as fast, convenient, or safe as anchoring with an anchor ball.  Frankly, I think I can haul anchor faster than two guys hauling in the conventional manner.  When I drop anchor, I can watch my depth finder as the boat drifts back and tie off precisely on top of the fish.

Here is how my boat and anchor ball system is rigged.

Here is how I anchor.  The first step after finding a rock is to determine where the anchor should be hooked to allow the boat to be positioned over the fish.  I drop anchor from the cockpit as shown below.  The engine is in reverse at idle speed.  The anchor ball is not released.  The anchor line slides out through the anchor ball ring.

Continue adding scope until you are about 2 boat lengths from your buoy and then release the anchor ball.

Secure the anchor line at the spring line cleat when you are close to your buoy.  You can haul or release more line as needed.

I always rig my anchor system on the side of the boat closest to the helm.  This gives me a better view of the anchor line while I haul anchor.  Turn the wheel to port and pull ahead.  The anchor ball will begin to track down theStbd side of the boat as shown in figure 1.

Continue forward and slightly to port until the ball comes along side.  Reach over and grab the anchor line as the ball passes and secure the anchor line with one wrap around the stern cleat.  No way to foul up now.  See drawing 2.

Continue pulling ahead until the anchor catches in the anchor ball ring.  The anchor ball will start following the boat, creating a large wake.  The chain will sink when the boat stops and the anchor will stay in the ring as you haul.

 Stop the boat and haul the anchor and ball back to the boat while flaking the line on the deck.

Rod
Toy Blew