[Rhodes22-list] Anchor retrieval system

daysails at aol.com daysails at aol.com
Sat Mar 3 15:47:30 EST 2012

Thanks for sharing this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellner Rod <ellnerrod at gmail.com>
To: Rhodes List Email List Rhodes 22 <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>;
Ellner Rod <rodellner at mac.com>; Rik Sandberg <sanderico1 at gmail.com>
Sent: Sat, Mar 3, 2012 2:13 pm
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Anchor retrieval system

Hi everyone

Just doing some
Winter browsing on the internet.  I have always considered an anchor
retrieval
system was used to dislodge an anchor that was fouled on the bottom.  I
see now
it can also be used to easily retrieve an anchor with a lot less effort
than
pulling it in hand over hand.   I don't know if a sailboat the under
power of an
8 hp outboard.Have any of you used this system when anchored? It floats
the
anchor under a fender or float able to support your anchor. The rode is
then
pulled to the boat with very little resistance.  It  sure would beat
the hand
over hand method.

Check this video out . Watch the entire video, a very large sturgeon is
caught.
I would use just the float and mechanical piece and my existing rodes
and
anchors.
This first video is some serious anchoring. The second video is more my
speed. I
just wonder if a sailboat would have enough speed to force the float to
ride
down the rode.  Any comments, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nxM7VPOC4M

Anchoring Tip # 19

Anchoring Using an Anchor Ball (The Easy Way)

I’ve been using an anchor ball since before the red plastic balls were
invented.
At first, I used an empty Freon can.  When the plastic balls were
invented,
everybody switched to them and eliminated a lot of rust stains on their
boat.

For single hand operation, nothing is as fast, convenient, or safe as
anchoring
with an anchor ball.  Frankly, I think I can haul anchor faster than
two guys
hauling in the conventional manner.  When I drop anchor, I can watch my
depth
finder as the boat drifts back and tie off precisely on top of the
fish.

Here is how my boat and anchor ball system is rigged.

Here is how I anchor.  The first step after finding a rock is to
determine where
the anchor should be hooked to allow the boat to be positioned over the
fish.  I
drop anchor from the cockpit as shown below.  The engine is in reverse
at idle
speed.  The anchor ball is not released.  The anchor line slides out
through the
anchor ball ring.

Continue adding scope until you are about 2 boat lengths from your buoy
and then
release the anchor ball.

Secure the anchor line at the spring line cleat when you are close to
your buoy.
You can haul or release more line as needed.

I always rig my anchor system on the side of the boat closest to the
helm.  This
gives me a better view of the anchor line while I haul anchor.  Turn
the wheel
to port and pull ahead.  The anchor ball will begin to track down
theStbd side
of the boat as shown in figure 1.

Continue forward and slightly to port until the ball comes along side.
Reach
over and grab the anchor line as the ball passes and secure the anchor
line with
one wrap around the stern cleat.  No way to foul up now.  See drawing 2.

Continue pulling ahead until the anchor catches in the anchor ball
ring.  The
anchor ball will start following the boat, creating a large wake.  The
chain
will sink when the boat stops and the anchor will stay in the ring as
you haul.

  Stop the boat and haul the anchor and ball back to the boat while
flaking the
line on the deck.

Rod
Toy Blew