[Rhodes22-list] New motor dilemma

Mike C hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:31:32 EDT 2012

I have a relatively new (2008) Yamaha 8 hp high thrust with electric start
and power tilt.  At the time I got it Yamaha had a remote control kit for
that motor.  As it comes it has the shift on the tiller arm so I didn't opt
for remote controls.  Also the power tilt lets me use the conventional lift
without having to wrestle with the motor to tilt it after its raised.  That
may be an option for you too.  Stan had no problem configuring a motor
rudder interconnect for my motor.  I will say that it is necessary to
carefully position oneself at the aft port corner using the tiller extender
to be able to control direction, throttle, and forward/reverse while
maneuvering.   And I find that I do better without the port captains chair
installed.  YMMV on that as I'm not too tall, just 5'6", and from the chair
I have trouble reaching the engine tiller arm controls.  From Yamaha's FAQ
page:
http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/FAQ/parts-and-accessories it
looks as if they still offer a remote control kit for most of their small
engines.

-----
Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann