[Rhodes22-list] comfortable with wind

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 8 17:40:22 EDT 2012

We were traveling at 4-5+ kts. (also, ML, meter was in kts.). This was on the bay with 2' rollers. The main on Rob's boat was vertical batten which helped, and using the outer track, no traveler adjustment this time. What I got was the ability to tack in extreme conditions, where I would always need to gather some speed previously and still wind up in irons much of the time.

Often going through a normal tack, I know Stan always say to let the sail follow the bow. Here, even if you delay the release of the jib a bit till the bow carries fully across the wind, it's been flawless. I just took my boat (without vertical batten and 155% genny) out this afternoon in the same or even higher winds with a major storm coming in. I tried it a half dozen times with no hitches.

Jay
s/v Wanderlust