[Rhodes22-list] Tacking the 150 Genny

Shawn Boles shawn.sustain at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 13:46:57 EDT 2013

Hi All:

Let the wind do the work. The 175 will come across of its own accord if you
watch the timing and set formerly working sheet
free. Paraphrasing Stan:  'if it is hard to do you are doing it wrong.'
That said, I found I had to put  turnbuckle covers 2 feet long (pvc pipe
w/a cap) on the fore and outer shrouds  prevent a rare fouling in light
winds.

Since I am writing, I will share my tale of woe. Fern Ridge reservoir , 20
minutes from my house and one of the best sailing lakes in the NW, is
essentially a mud flat for any boat with a draw over 20 inches. Cause was
low initial pool and dry hot winds that evaporated 2 inches a day. The
average depth started at about 5-6 feet..

I had expected this to happen in conjunction with the consequences of
climate change in Oregon, but did not expect it quite so soon.

We pulled Sweet Baboo out about a month ago. A total of 5 weeks sailing
instead of the normal 12-15. I have been looking for alternative moorage,
since I hate trailering the boat. Coastal lakes are very windy except in
the morning and 1.5 hrs away. I will look at a smaller reservoir about 45
mins away. Wish me luck.

Cheers,
Shawn
S/V Sweet Baboo