[Rhodes22-list] Latest Practical Sailor bottom paint ratings

Richard Arking richard.arking at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 20:23:38 EST 2013

Practical Sailor's article does rank Pettit highly for both hard coat (
Trinidad, Trinidad Pro and Trinidad SR) and for ablative coats (Horizons
and Hydrocoat).  Note that the P-S article states, " Also, many hard paints
lose their punch when they are stored out of the water for long periods,
while most ablatives can be hauled and relaunched without worries" (Page
8)  " Some ablative paints, like the new dual-resin ablatives, are actually
quite hard; designed to resist light underwater cleaning and are suitable
for trailering."  Check out Pettit's web site; they recommend ablative
paints for Mid -Atlantic boats that spend months on the hard.
My '96 R22, recycled 2012, has Pettit Trinidad courtesy of Stan and was
completely clean-bottomed when we hauled out two days before Hurricane
Sandy (not a scratch, thank you; Gateway Marina -Sheepshead Bay,
Brooklyn-was almost completely undamaged).  But Trinidad is a hard paint.
So, do I need to sand it lightly just before launch next month to get the
biocide juices flowing again?  Please tell me "No" as I hate sanding and
would rather rewax the gelcoat- I love that gleam!   Thanks,  Richard Arking