[Rhodes22-list] R22 installing portlights and hatches

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Sep 17 10:45:08 EDT 2013

Thanks Bob for advice on installing Beckson ports. I didn't realize that
they were so flexible. Does anyone know whether any hatches are available
that can be placed on the Rhodes deck and take the curve or does the deck
under the hatch need to be flattened - somehow?

Many years ago I removed the original ports entirely, enlarged the openings
and applied a lexan cover over the three ports in one black strip. It looked
good but the material eventually cracked around the screws because I didn't
enlarge the screw holes to allow for expansion and the material was too
thin. The expansion over the large strip also resulted in the silicone
eventually leaking.

The sides of the cabin have a compound curve and I am concerned that thicker
lexan might not be sufficiently flexible to be drawn around it even if I can
find a way to allow for expansion  so either I go back to using ports or
apply separate lexan covers for each opening. At this point the latter seems
most feasible and at substantially less cost but I would be interested to
hear from others who have addressed this problem or have opinions about it.

Graham