[Rhodes22-list] internetoutboards: 8 vs 9.9hp

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Dec 28 12:27:14 EST 2014

Hi all,
Just a comment about 8hp vs 9.8hp 4 stroke outboards. Many brands
including, IIRC, the Honda and definitely the Tohatsu/Nissan 8hp engines
weigh the same as the 9.9 engines and have the same displacement. The 8hp
engines may get a bit better gas mileage compared to the 9.9hp engines but
given the same weights I'd go for more hp even though they cost ~$200 more.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Warmest regards,

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
Director, Research Division