[Rhodes22-list] New outboard for a Rhodes 22

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Jul 16 08:29:27 EDT 2014

I have used both a gasoline and electric motors on my Rhodes 22.

Gasoline motors are smelly, noisy, and unreliable. They do not run smoothly at low speeds while docking. On the positive side , they do produce the most torque at about 3,000 rpm when fighting an opposing wind or tide. They have a longer range.
I have used a long shaft 101lb thrust minkota riptide saltwater. Transom mounter electric. It can get the boat up to 5 mph with one person on board. Initially I used three lead acid marine batteries from Costco with a three bank charger from Minkota. The boat was on a saltwater dock with electricity. I never had any problems with the motor. A pleasure to use for day sailing. I switched to the gasoline motor for long cruises.

Now I am on a lake with no electricity on the dock. I switched to three LiPo prismatic batteries because they are lighter. ( 13lbs vs. 35 lbs) They are also more expensive. Because the lake has flakey winds I leave the motor down running at low speed. This makes it much easier to tack over the heavy 175 genny.

You may also wish to consider a propane outboard

Sent from my iPhone