[Rhodes22-list] Summer Begins...finally!

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Jun 8 22:39:13 EDT 2014

Summer begins when Blue Hawaii floats! Following an event filled splash last
Saturday ...I had a very successful shakedown sail THIS Saturday, 6/8,
however....there were a few kinks  but all worked out.
I had done some major reconditioning in preparation for this sailing season
and in the process made a few mistakes...I had removed all standing rigging.
Had a slight bend in jib foil to straighten. Decided to check the
centerboard for problems and found a broken block. Replaced both blocks on
the board and installed new line. Replaced all running rigging except jib
sheets. Re-did the furling line on my IMF... Time consuming but worth the
efforts. Now for my mistakes.
First mistake...forgot to replace the shroud adjuster on the top of the
forestay creating all sorts of havoc when trying to attach the stay after
raising the mast..,both fore and back stays came up short. Mast up and down
3 times before realizing what the problem was.
Second mistake...going back to check the boat the day after launching found
water in the cabin up to the bottom of the floor.....my god!....the cb trunk
was leaking badly..cap screws apparently not tight enough....quickly pumped
the water out, but how to repair without hauling BH out again.... Decided
to replace each and every screw with a bolt and nut to be certain to draw
the cap tight against the gasket...so, one at a time, I removed a screw,
drilled the hole out to accept a bolt and replaced each one of them. As you
should know, that's close to 60 bolts.... Again time consuming and painful
for my arthritic knees but done....success....dry as a bone...not a drop
coming through.  Part 2 to follow

-----
Chris Greco
Long Island, NY