[Rhodes22-list] My new toy.... Talk me into saving it

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Oct 30 08:04:38 EDT 2014

   Brad
   What part of the country ate you in?
   Todd T.
   --
   Sent from my Android phone with [1]mail.com Mail. Please excuse my
   brevity.

   The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> wrote:

     Hi Brad:
     I imagine that you are disappointed to find the boat in the
     condition it is
     in.
     My boat is a 76 and I have had to address all of the problems you
     listed and
     a few more that might still be there to discover. I am into my 4th
     year of
     reconstruction - recognizing two limiting factors - 1, I am in
     Ontario and
     have only a few months each year when I can work on the boat and 2,
     I am
     massively slow in part because I knew nothing about fixing the boat
     when I
     started so much of this was a learning experience. A third factor
     which I
     should also admit to is that I did just about everything at least
     twice -
     and always the hard way. If you decide to proceed with this project
     I might
     be able to at least point out my rich and varied history of
     mistakes.
     Even without my limitations though it is a big, big project. My
     advice would
     be that unless you really enjoy the process of reconstruction,
     don't do it.
     I am one of those perverse types who really loves to do the work
     and get
     great satisfaction from it even when I am hanging upside down
     sanding epoxy
     in 90 degree weather for hours. But if you are doing this just
     because you
     want a boat, chances are that the cost and effort will take its
     toll long
     before the boat is ready. It is very easy to grossly underestimate
     the cost
     of reconstruction. I wouldn't dare let my wife see my records.
     Most of my reconstruction efforts are included in various postings
     to the
     list and if you search the archive under my name you will find
     discussion on
     how I fixed the sunken deck, repaired the keel, centreboard and
     rudder,
     ground out the gelcoat cracks and painted the deck, reinforced the
     cabin
     sides, and so forth. I am currently replacing the ports with tinted
     Plexiglas strips which I hope to be able to attach without
     hardware. I have
     the Plexiglas but the attachment will not occur now until spring.
     At that
     point I will be rebuilding the entire inside of the boat including
     the floor
     stringers, bulkheads, galley and head area - for the second time.
     Of course
     there were tens of thousands of minor things I did along the way or
     still
     await my attention like installing new chainplates, rub rail,
     pulpits, paint
     the interior and so forth. My ultimate goal is to complete the boat
     before I
     die. Right now it seems to be a tossup as to which will occurs
     first.
     Feel free to ask if I can be of any assistance.
     Graham Stewart
     gstewart8 at cogeco dot ca