[Rhodes22-list] New Joint of Deck and Hull

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Feb 5 17:45:26 EST 2015

Chuy:

Good summary and sorry to be part of the confusion.

If it helps to sort out he confusing advice, I think that the options of
glassing or using 5200 (or equivalent) might not be all that different in
the end. They claim that 5200 is as strong as the glass - although that
would depend on whether it is applied properly - and using glass would also
as strong as the hull and deck if is of sufficient thickness.  5200 is more
flexible than glass but with bolts every foot or so, the flex would be
minimal, if any, anyway.

With glass you should be able to get away with fewer bolts. I consulted with
a master boat restoration person on this point who told me I should use a
bolt every 4 feet! That seemed very far spaced to me so I will probably use
a bolt about every 18" to be safe.

If you can get rid of the existing sealant and get a good quantity of the
new sealant deep into the join, then go with that option. If you can't get
adequate sealant into the join or if it cures faster than you can apply the
bolts, or possibly, if you want to avoid removing the rub rail,  then you
might want to go the route of the glass - providing you have good access to
the join on the inside of the boat. Of course, these approaches are not
mutually exclusive either. In fact, I plan to use the sealant and more
closely-spaced bolts on the back quarter and transom.

Either way, I think you will end up with a good and permanent fix. Which
method you choose should be guided by the materials you feel most
comfortable using and which method offers greatest access to the join rather
than be too concerned about which is "better".

Just do what you think will be most achievable and feasible under your
circumstance. Either way I think the fix will be good and permanent.

Graham