[Rhodes22-list] Leave Bimini up? Anchor rode rope to chain connection? IMF Main storage

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Jun 18 16:32:52 EDT 2015

Bimini:
Just had a wonderful 12 mile sail Tuesday with bimini finally installed and
very pleased with it. So great to be out of the sun here in the Chesapeake
Bay region. I was pleasantly surprised to find that IMF main
deploy/retraction was still easy (once I reinstalled the bimini UNDER the
boom - sigh).

Now, can I leave bimini up at my slip? My slip is somewhat protected in 3
directions, but pretty exposed to Choptank River winds on last side. I'm
also wondering about sun damage long term. OTOH, it would protect the
cockpit area somewhat from sun damage and a lot cheaper to replace. And one
less thing to do when going sailing.

Anchor rode:
I have a Danforth (hangers on bow pulpit) with about 6' of chain. I searched
the site and found great info (thanks particularly to Mary Lou)  on handling
rode via rode bags stored under cockpit seats or lazarette,  then carried to
bow (or bitter end tied of at stern and then re-tied at bow). Seems a
popular solution and I’m ready to go this route.

But how are you attaching the rope rode to the anchor chain?
Is there a FOOL proof (note bimini installation screw-up above) heavy duty
quick connector or do you tie on every time?

IMF furling: (For bonus points)
After seeing the exposed part of my furled IMF main whipping about a fair
amount in some high winds (20 knots?) I've started disconnecting out haul
and wrapping exposed part around mast when putting boat away. Gives me peace
of mind. Overkill or common? With a new fitting, it's very quick and easy.

-----
Brooks Bridges
1986, Recycled 2006 "Changes"
Cambridge, MD