[Rhodes22-list] Window replacement - installation refinement

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Jun 30 16:26:26 EDT 2015

After all the fussing over installing acrylic windows on my boat, Boatworks
Today came out with a new video that I wish I had seen before I did my
windows. You can see the video here: http://boatworkstoday.com/archives/1735

The main difference is that I installed the sealant and VHB tape together
while in this video the windows were installed first and the sealant applied
afterwards.

The main advantage of installing the sealant after the windows are installed
are:
	You don' run the risk of getting the sealant on the tape -  thereby
interfering with the bond. That is easy to do especially when handling large
pieces.
	You mask the opening around the window after it has been installed
rather than before. That is bound to be more precise.
	At least in my case there would have been area to apply a double row
of tape thus making the bond much stronger.
	Much less mess.

The only disadvantage with this method is that it might be more difficult to
get the sealant in under the lower edge of the glass - although I think that
problem is not insurmountable.

If I were doing it again, which I hope I never will need to, I would use
this revised method.

It seems so obvious now... Where is it written that good instructional
videos can only be published after the job has been done?

Graham