[Rhodes22-list] Wanna be questions

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Mar 26 14:50:49 EDT 2015

At 01:31 PM 3/26/2015, you wrote:
>Stan's upgraded construction methods and the foam core were
>important criteria for me.   I read posts from the farmer
>(Nebraska?) who tried and failed to rebuild a very soft old
>Rhodes.   I wish he had posted autopsy photos when he scrapped the
>hull.   Somebody did that on the little sister of my Bucc (Mutt
>15).   It was very informative.

Not sure when Stan started using the foam core. Our 1991 is plywood
core. Best to talk to Stan about that one if it is part of your criteria.

>There was one discussion regarding the centerboard cap leaking below
>the waterline, and flooding a boat.    How much of a concern should
>this be?   I get the impression this boat has an actual bilge under
>the cabin sole, unlike most other designs?

Very, very shallow bilge. May 3 inches under the cabin floor.  Ours
is usually dry unless we've had an issue  with a leaking port. I've
actually only heard of a couple of instances of a leaking centerboard
cap, mostly due not quite right repairs during a non-GBI refit or due
to unusual damage in a grounding. The good news is that even in such
unusual circumstances, with the R22 positive flotation, water will
fill the boat only to the level of the cabin seats. The boat will still float.

As someone else just mentioned, one of the great advantages of a new
or recycled Rhodes 22 is that it is a semi-custom boat. You can order
it with the options you want. A recycled boat will look like a new
boat. Stan routinely displays a recycled boat at the Annapolis
Sailboat Show and most people looking at it will believe it is new.

Best of luck on your search,
Mary Lou
R22 Fretless   (1991, recycled 1998)
Rock Hall, MD