[Rhodes22-list] FW: Tabernacle brace

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Oct 14 12:30:56 EDT 2015

A couple of years ago the tabernacle pulled out of the deck while lowering the mast. We repaired it and epoxied in the screws but didn't have confidence that they would hold if the original factory one didn't.  So we rigged a couple of cable braces that prevent the tabernacle from tipping as the mast lowering puts a horizontal pressure on it (do a simple vector analysis of the force put on that tabenacle as the mast gets closer to horizontal position).  We put a sheet metal part from the galvanized metal department of any hardware store through the bolt that the mast pivots on, one on each side, and attached hardware turnbuckles with cables to the sheet  metal.  Then we ran the cables back to the cleats on the back of the cabin. We had to put wood blocks in various areas to prevent the cables from scratching the cabin.  This has worked well and we use the crane system for lowering the mast with total confidence. (this still won't allow the mast to be lowered without the rack at the back of the boat)