[Rhodes22-list] Tex on Centerboard

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Feb 22 08:47:22 EST 2016

Alex:

Don't confuse epoxy resin with polyester resin. The latter is much cheaper
and has very different attributes. The application methods also differ.
Epoxy is much stronger, durable and water resistant and is far superior for
repairs such as you plan on your centreboard.

Your boat, like all boats, are made with polyester resin - because of its
cost and fast curing. Epoxy adheres to polyester but polyester does not
adhere well to epoxy so you would not use epoxy if for any reason you wanted
to cover it with polyester as might occur if you are also wanting to do some
gel coat repairs. Gel coat is polyester

For a repair such as the one you are considering I would not try to save by
using polyester.

Graham