[Rhodes22-list] Triad Trailer brakes and adjustments

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Fri Jun 24 19:35:14 EDT 2016

Brooks:
What you are doing seems very similar to my situation. You will never get
the boat completely forward to the point where the bow touches the bow pad
while it is retracted - and shouldn't try. The boat seems to find its own
place.

Make sure the bunks are wet and submerged when you retrieve the boat. I back
the trailer into the water to the point where the forward tips of the bunks
are at the surface of the water. When you move the boat onto the trailer the
bunks will stop the boat. The boat will not go any further and will be in
the correct position. It takes herculean effort to move is any further and
that is neither warranted or desirable.

The winch strap will hold the boat in place while you exit the ramp. You
should put the strap on the bow eye and winch it in so that it is snug and
once the boat is on the level release the winch, move the bow pad back to
touch the bow, and then snug the winch strap again. The bow will raise up
when you release the strap but the boat will not move back. The strap should
be snug without slack but not under heavy tension.

It the tongue weight is too light you probably should move things forward on
the boat before you try drastic actions placing the boat on the trailer. You
might also move the motor off the stern if it is particularly heavy.

Your short trip of a few miles at low speed to the launch reflects the same
situation that applies to me. I don't worry about it at all. If I were
traveling at highway speeds over a greater distance I would check the tongue
weight.

The potential of sway increases dramatically with speed. At low speed you
will not even notice. At high speed sway can literally drag your tow vehicle
off the road.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada