[Rhodes22-list] Lost My Headstay and Furler

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Mon Aug 14 11:46:48 EDT 2017

For what it is worth, when I was reviewing various furlers for my boat I came across several makers who strongly recommended attaching the stay at both ends with toggles rather than have the swag attached directly to the masthead and chainplate. Apparently the sideways stress and movement with the furler is magnified as the stay does not flex along its full length to the same degree and that can lead to the stay breaking. Apparently this happened to Gary Novotny, a member of this  list, within months of installing his new furling gear. Shaefer requires that toggles be installed with their system. Makes sense to me and would be a reasonable precaution to take.

Graham Stewart
Agile. R22, 1976
Kingston Ontario Canada