[Rhodes22-list] Lost My Headstay and Furler

peter at sunnybeeches.com peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon Aug 14 19:12:00 EDT 2017

I was finally able to return to Groton with my trailer today.  I
hauled the boat, packed it for travel, and brought it home.  Once
home, I disassembled the furler, and took a look at what was left of
forestay attachment hardware at the top of the mast.

As I suspected, the failure occurred near the top of the mast.  The
forestay wire itself was completely intact.  The bit of hardware
attached to the upper end of the ware failed.  At the point of
failure, it looks like there may be the start of a threaded portion.
The piece still attached at the top of the mast looks like it’s shaped
to accept a cylindrical (sp ?) piece of hardware.  I’m at a loss to
recall the bits of gear that allowed this connection to be made.

I’ll try to attach a picture of the pieces I found.

I hope to visit a rigger in the next day or two in the hopes that a
professional will be able to figure this out.

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)