[Rhodes22-list] Spring Project Videos

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Mon May 22 16:39:47 EDT 2017

This spring I had a number of projects on Silverheels, and I made videos of the work in the hope that someone would find them interesting or useful.  Initially I thought I would make one video per subject area, but since most of the work was taking place in the small interior of the Rhodes 22, that approach turned out to be difficult to implement.  So instead I made a series of videos that cover about 6 weeks of work in more or less the order in which events occurred.

The projects can be broken down into the following subjects:

Reconfigured Galley Below the Countertop.  The biggest change here is a new home-built built-in top-loading ice chest.  There’s a whole separate hour-long video on the construction of the ice chest, if you’re interested in the details.  Under and forward of the ice-chest are some new drawers, and a hinged door provides access to the area under the sink.

Water Storage and Management. I removed the water tank and replaced it with ten 1.25 gallon containers.  There are several advantages to this approach: a) using the translucent jugs eliminates the nagging thought that something gross may be happening in your opaque tank, b) it’s easy to know pretty precisely how much water you have, c) when it’s time to refill your jugs all you need is a water tap within walking distance, and d) even if the rest of you water management system (e.g. hoses, pump) breaks down, water in the jugs is still available for use.  I also added a foot pump to replace the electric one.  In theory this will reduce consumption of both water and electricity.

Electrical Work.  I added a switch and some wiring to connect my two batteries together.  I added a hinged door to make the back side of the breaker panel and the area behind it more accessible. I added a battery monitor.

General Storage.  I build a cabinet of sorts to securely hold eight of the water jugs under the V-birth aft of the foam.  To make better use of the space left above this, I made some wooden bins.   I added a floor inside the step support on the centerline under the companionway, and hinged a section of the step to allow access to that space.

Other.  I added a depth/speed/temperature transducer with a thru-hull fitting under the head floor.

There are five videos that cover this work.  The first one in the series is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJeFTQnR6Q <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJeFTQnR6Q>

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)