[Rhodes22-list] Vang bail

S/V Lark Colealexander at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 16 13:13:50 EDT 2019

Rick

My concern is the tendency of the boom to lift on a run.   Running the
traveler all the way to the end and having the boom in the raised position
so the sheet provides more downward force helps some.   I'm sure I would
pick a course closer to a reach if I was on big water, to gain speed, even
if it meant jibing to get to my destination.    In confined spaces there are
times where a run is the most practical course.   I think the lack of
significant waves also makes sail shape more relevant on small water.   When
I've been on Erie or Michigan I found the waves would frustratingly keep
bouncing the sail out of shape if the wind is moderate.    You likely have
far more hours on open water, does this match your observations?

Alex

-----
Alex Cole
S/V Lark