[Rhodes22-list] Out Haul Car

stan stan at generalboats.com
Thu Apr 2 18:20:18 EDT 2020

> With the computer the only socially acceptable game in town, I will
> tackle the outhaul car issue today (tied up with computer business
> yesterday).
>
> Over its approximately 40 year run there have been 3 versions of the
> outhaul car.  The first (as in Charles photo) was a stock hardware
> part we found in a marine catalog where it was featured for some other
> use.  We thought it cool that it was stainless steel. But true,
> stainless and aluminum for this use, friends they were not; there was
> a lot of friction between them.  Happy ending, that stock part did not
> allow for the best of designs. Sitting on the port swivel seat year
> after year at the Annapolis show, studying the outhaul car system the
> big in-the-water Catalinas were using, I suddenly realized our mutual
> flaw.  For good reason we could not hard connect the clew of the sail
> to the car. As the sail went in or out of the mast, all designs had to
> allow for the clew to change its distance above the boom. The outhaul
> car line had to be made so it could automatically adjust for the
> varing distance of the clew from the car.  With a system to do this,
> went along the fact that to set a draft in the sail, the sail would
> have enough freedom from its car to be functioning as a sail in a
> different plane than its boom.  This, of course, degraded the
> effectiveness of the traveler.
In our proprietary manner we decided to look at the mainsail, outhaul
car and traveler, as a collective assembly.  In that process the 2nd
version of the outhaul care emerged. And it worked in principle.  But
over the years its physical design flaws started showing up.

So, the recent entry of Rhodes outhaul car the third.  It is so well
constructed, it comes with a lifetime guarantee (mine).   There is a
review from a Rhodie who has one, that you can read. It is on the bottom
of the Newsy Stuff page on the  www.rhodes22parts.com   web site.
Sorry, no photos yet.  We will post one ASAP or a List user may post one
sooner.  For DIY owners I want to post that making a copy for your own
boat is good with us.  Just as we feel that you would have no objections
to our incorporating your improvements for the benefit of other Rhodes
owners.  What we can't afford to live with are others, commercializing
our time and capital, freely, taking away the return of our R&D
investments, needed for other in the wings projects.

Like the good folk from Lake Wobegon, Rhodes owners are above average.
Eventually all owners will be part of the Rhodes Owners Cooperative as
they come to know it not as a cost but rather an investment in
continuing newly won benefits that markedly outpace ROC's one time, life
time membership fee.  What confuses me is why, like the the small
segment of this country's electorate that steadfastly vote for leaders
putting through policies that clearly are anti said voters self
interests, are there bright Rhodies who allow their emotional reaction
to changes in a market, override their good judgment of what is in their
best interest.  To that end I ask that those who still have any
reservations of what we are laying out, to revisit:

http://www.usedrhodes.com/owners-coop.html
and the boxed copy section of
http://www.rhodes22parts.com/home.html

As always, I am willing to listen to, and to respond to, anyone's
comments and questioning re General Boats sustaining policy shifts. All
I ask is that as the oldest, fully engaged, guardian of the longest
running, small sailboat company, I be given a tiny bit of credence for
knowing this market better than most anyone else.

PS:  The next web site's amazing benefits to *both* Rhodes Buyers and
Rhodes Sellers, would be up and running now, had I the shoulder to
shoulder partnering that I still need.  With a little bit of
encouragement I will lay out the details of this uniquely different,
common purpose endeavor, in a future email.

stan