[Rhodes22-list] Getting the weight off the tires for winter storage

ksimolo ksimolo at frontiernet.net
Tue Jul 14 02:07:18 EDT 2020

In my opinion, using nitrogen in tires to prevent oxidation is a waste of money for normal driving but is a good money maker for the places that provide it.  The rates of these oxidative reactions relative to the amount of rubber will not lead to significant degradation in the timeframes we are discussing.  As far as gas leakage goes, if you check your tire pressure every couple of months, you would never have to worry about nitrogen vs air since the difference between the two is small.  If the air you use is very wet, you might see a difference in pressure fluctuations during a trip but they would be small relative to the changes from heat.

Blocking UV degradation will have a much greater impact on longer tire life.  Compare the integrity of the inside of your tire to the outside of your tire sometime, especially when you have a tire where the side walls are starting to crack.  The outside is always much worse on any that I have looked at.

There are some very poor quality tires out there, especially the brand that has been on every trailer I have purchased.  Most large trailer manufacturers are not going to spend the extra money necessary to provide you with a quality tire.  Take the nitrogen money and put it towards better tires and you will be further ahead.

Ken