[Rhodes22-list] mainsail problems

Peter Nyberg peter at sunnybeeches.com
Tue Jul 28 17:22:54 EDT 2020

I suspect a couple of things.

The fact that furling and unfurling is getting more difficult over time, even as you gain more experience doing it, suggests to me that there’s something mechanically wrong going on inside the mast.   Problems with furling and unfurling can be caused by the boom being too high or too low, but if you satisfy yourself that that’s not the issue, then I think you’re going to have to take the thing apart.  That would require having the mast down and off the boat.  I have no idea what to tell you to look for when you take the IMF apart, other than ’something that doesn’t look right’.  That’s what I would do anyway.

Secondly, you’re not strong enough to rip a sound sail, even with the 2:1 advantage provided by the outhaul line.  So, either there’s some jagged bit somewhere that contributed to the tearing, or the sail was really shot already.

Best of luck, and let us know how things unfold…

Peter Nyberg
Coventry, CT
s/v Silverheels (1988/2016)