[Rhodes22-list] 175 vs 130 Genoa

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:57:03 EST 2020

I had a 175 on my first Rhodes 22, a 150 and 130 on my present boat.  The
175 was ok in light air but the boat was overpowered very quickly when the
wind freshened and it had to be reefed constantly.  I had a new one made
with a luff pad so it reefed better but it still was overpowered too
quickly and got stuck on the rigging constantly when coming about.  The 150
was better and I would recommend it if you have a lot of light wind days.
I have been sailing with a 130 for the last two seasons (17th season with a
Rhodes 22) and find the 130 to be the best overall.  The 130 seems to be
the most balanced and the boat sails in its best heeling more often.  I
sail in salt water, both protected bays and some open ocean.

*Thanks and Stay Well,*

*Stephen Staum*
*s/v Carol Lee 2*
*Needham, MA*