[Rhodes22-list] preparing to install new sail

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:19:14 EDT 2020

Hi Graham. I replace my mainsail this year and it was pretty straightforward. I took the mast off the boat (a pretty simple two person operation) and rested it on milk crates in the back yard.  Having the mast level and easily accessible is key as you slide the furling tube out of the mast. I would think that doing it on the boat would be more of a hassle and not worth the time saved. I did not remove the boom and it wasn’t a problem.

I’d spread sheet plastic or drop cloths on the ground if I were to do it again. I did not get any grass stains on the sail, but I was wishing I had done that so as not to worry. You need to have enough room of course to bring the full length of the sail and furling tube out of the mast, so 60’ or so of room/ground cover.

Hope that’s helpful.

Dave B