[Rhodes22-list] Revisiting Deploying Anchor from Cockpit

Gmorganflier gmorgan.flier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 19:30:25 EST 2021

Rick and Roger,

Thanks for your input.

It’s obvious I’m new to sailing and some of the terminology. I had to look
up what the parts of a Danforth anchor are called.

My boat came with two brackets hanging down from the bow pulpit with a hole
on in one bracket and a slot in the other where the Danforth hung by its
stocks with the shank hanging down. Every photo of a Rhodes I’ve  seen had
this same arrangement, so I thought this was standard. Since no other
sailboat in my club even has an anchor I didn’t have much to go on other
than what came with my boat and photos I’d seen.

I can see in rough waters and waves this might not be the best arrangement.
My lake is no more than 12’ deep and is 5 miles long and 3 miles wide and as
of yet I don’t sail in high winds, so the likelihood of me encountering
heavy seas are negligible.

I am going to find some way to possibly have the chain and rode stowed more
securely but still give me the ability to drop anchor from the cockpit.

George Morgan
S/v Knotty Lady