[Rhodes22-list] Lifting the Mast off of the Boat

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 16 09:45:09 EDT 2021

I have a traditional old standard rig where you raise the mast from the bow using the boom as a gin pole and stays to control the mast. Realistically it is a two person job. My wife and I do it without difficulty. Because I keep the boat at my dock at my house I store the mast on my property each winter and then raise and lower it at the dock with the boat in the water. The boat rocking can make the process a bit more difficult but not a big problem if you pick your moment when there are no boat wakes or waves to contend with.

There are a lot of lines that can and will snag during the process. Untangling these snags when the mast is partly raised and while the boat is in the water really requires two people - one to stabilize the mast and the other to undo the snag.

Graham Stewart
Agile, Rodes 22, 1976
Kingston Ontario