[Rhodes22-list] Stuck/Frozen Trailer Wheel

jpd9668 jpd9668 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 18:27:45 EST 2022

It's one of two things: brakes (probably not if they're surge brakes) or bearings.1. Do you allow your wheels to cool before launching? If not, and they're still hot when you back into the water, the rapid cooling sucks water into the hub and onto the bearing capsule. 2. If your answer is "no" to 1 above, do you keep a grease gun with marine lube in your vehicle?3. If the answer is "yes" to 2 above, do you lube your hubs after launching or retrieving?4. If the answer is either "no to 2 above and/or "no" to 3 above, problem solved. It's your bearings and they've got to be replaced.The good news is you've got a two axle trailer so you can remove that wheel and take the trailer to a shop unless you are going to try and replace the bearings yourself. I DONT RECOMMEND THAT OPTION unless your a real good mechanic familiar with those bearing cups and seals that are special for boat trailers.Hope this helps.Joe DempseyS/V RespiteDeltaville, VASent via the Samsung Galaxy S22 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Lee Kuhn <lvjkuhn at gmail.com> Date: 11/11/22  4:06 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Stuck/Frozen Trailer Wheel Happy Veterans Day!One of the wheels on my dual-axle Triad trailer does not turn.I've tried rocking back and forth, and banging on the rim near thebrake pads to try to loosen them up  Didn't work.Couldn't find anything in the archives.  Any ideas?Thanks!Lee1999 Rhodes22  AT EASEClaytor Lake, VA