[Rhodes22-list] Re move Roller Furling

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sat Aug 22 09:44:15 EDT 2009

Depends on your furler.

If you have a General Boats furler - the sail cannot be removed
without lowering the mast. It's one of the reasons we put the boat on
the trailer and lowered the mast when Isabel was forecast to wreak havoc.

If you have a CDI it can be done. I understand it involves a
messenger line attached to the internal halyard. Think that might be
the red line Elton mentioned. See the manual (it's online at
http://www.sailcdi.com/ffmain.htm).

Schaefer Snap-furl  - it's what we have now. Has an external halyard.
It's easy to lower and remove the sail (but there is another exposed
halyard to slap around). We flake it then fold it  and put it in a
sail bag. If it is temporary, we store it down below. If it's for the
season we take it home and store it.

As far as keeping any furler from unravelling in wind. Wrapping the
sheets around a furled genoa won't keep it from unraveling and
shredding from the top in a high wind. Ours has come through 60 knot
wind gusts with no problem but a 60 knot gust is different than 60
knots sustained which has higher gusts. We may have just been lucky.
Someone else in the marina had a genoa shredded in the same storm
with 60 knot gusts. They had a taller mast and winds are generally
stronger higher up but they were also facing a different direction.

Any time we leave the boat we do make sure the sail is wrapped as
tightly as possible. We also tie a line around the sail  and through
the clew so we are not relying on the sheets to keep the sail tight.
Not sure if that really helps but it allows us to keep the sheets
slack so birds don't roost on them.

Some where there are pictures of our dry run storm prep.

Here's the start of one thread on storm prep:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2008-September/053687.html

Here's a link to the post that has links (at the end) to a couple of pictures:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2008-September/054961.html

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless